Ebola Outbreak: Disease Kills Four in Region for First Time in Five Years - Alert Raised
Daily Express- FOUR people have died from Ebola in Guinea - the first deaths in the country from the disease in five years - sparking fears of a resurgence of the killer virus.
The country's health minister Remy Lamah told news agency AFP officials are "really concerned" about the deaths.
The 2013-16 epidemic, which began in the African country, killed 11,300 people in the region, with the majority of cases reported in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
National Health Security Agency head Sakoba Keita told local media the four deaths from Ebola occurred in the southeast region of Nzerekore of Guinea.
One of the victims was a nurse who fell ill at the end of last month and was buried earlier this month.
Mr Keita said: "Among those who took part in the burial, eight people showed symptoms: diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding.
"Three of them died and four others are in hospital."
Since the 2016 epidemic, the World Health Organization has closely monitored each Ebola outbreak, treating a recent one in the Democratic Republic of Congo as an international health emergency.....READ MORE
The Daily Express is a daily national middle-market tabloid newspaper in the United Kingdom. Published in London, it is the flagship of Express Newspapers, owned by publisher Reach plc. It was first published as a broadsheet in 1900 by Sir Arthur Pearson. Its sister paper, the Sunday Express, was launched in 1918.